Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Off and Away!

Dear Friends and Family,

I can't believe it, but tomorrow I leave for India where I'll spend the next seven weeks. INDIA! I'm filled with butterflies of excitement.

As many of you know, I'm participating in a study abroad program through the University of Pennsylvania's School of Social Policy and Practice (SP2), where I'm working toward my MSW degree. Seven social work students (six of us pictured at right) will be working with SP2 professor TJ Ghose and the Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee, a collective of sex workers based in Calcutta/Kolkata, India. The name translates to "Committee of Unstoppable Women."

Before the program starts, though, I'll be traveling to Darjeeling in the state of West Bengal. Darjeeling is famous for its tea gardens, temples and gorgeous mountain views. I'm looking forward to trekking, riding the rails, reading, writing, and relaxing away from the summer heat.

On May 17, I'll join the rest of our team in Kolkata. We're staying in a small guesthouse in the center of the city. You can write me at the following address:

5 Bipin Pal Road
Kolkata 700026

While I love to get mail, email is definitely the quickest and surefire-est way to reach me. I'll have internet access at the guesthouse and will check my account regularly: murpheya@gmail.com.

You can expect updates from me via this blog (http://kolkatajournal.blogspot.com). I'm psyched about my first foray into the blogosphere (thank you, Google!) and hope you'll enjoy reading. You can access the blog directly at the above address, or click the "follow" or "subscribe" links on the blog home page to receive automatic updates.

I'll be back in Philly on June 29.

We're in for an adventure. Thank you all for your love and support, and please stay in touch!

Love,
Anna

3 comments:

  1. What's happenin'? Did you forget your blog password? :) What's going on in India?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I hope you had an amazing birthday in India! Let's see some updates so we can be officially jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everything is going well, Anna!! Happy belated birthday :)

    ReplyDelete